A federal judge has dismissed a defamation lawsuit against Fox News brought by a former Marine and Trump supporter who claimed he was made a scapegoat by the network after the Jan. 6, 2021, U.S. Capitol insurrection. Raymond Epps, whose claims against Fox were featured in a “60 Minutes” segment, said the network's false reports subjected him and his wife to death threats and forced them to move from their Arizona home. Under the false theory, Epps was a government agent in Washington that day trying to stir up trouble that would later be blamed on Donald Trump fans.

  • Updated

FILE - Exterior view of the International Criminal Court, or ICC, in The Hague, Netherlands, on April 30, 2024. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong, File)

  • Updated

Brazil’s former far-right President Jair Bolsonaro was fully aware of and actively participated in a coup plot to remain in office after his defeat in the 2022 election, according to a Federal Police report that has been unsealed. Brazil’s Federal Police last week formally accused Bolsonaro and 36 other people of attempting a coup. They sent their report to the Supreme Court, which lifted the seal. Bolsonaro in December 2022 presented a draft decree to the commanders of the three divisions of the armed forces that would have declared the vote fraudulent to justify a possible military intervention. Bolsonaro has denied any wrongdoing.

  • Updated

A federal appeals court has upheld a ruling that allows a San Jose State women’s volleyball team member to play in the Mountain West Conference tournament after complaints said she should be ineligible on grounds that she’s transgender. The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday that a U.S. Magistrate in Denver was correct in allowing her to play. The magistrate and the appeals court said the players and others who sued should have filed their complaint earlier, rather than waiting until less than two weeks before the tournament was to begin to seek an emergency injunction.